I Am That Girl Now

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Extraordinary!

First off: We have tried the Homemade Pizza Co., and they are good. Particularly, OH MY GOD, the salads, but the pizzas are also quality. Yum.

Here's the twist: we didn't finish the pizza. We got two, because we couldn't agree on which one to get. I ate two pieces, my Hub ate four, and we shared a small salad (pear slices, blue cheese, candied walnuts, balsamic vinaigrette, YUM), and now we have a lot of pizza sitting in the kitchen.

This just doesn't happen, folks. Usually I'll have four pieces, and my Hub will have up to twice as much. Every. Single. Time. In the bad old days, we used to plow through vast amounts of pizza. Not tonight.

Also, no meat on these pizzas. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Usually any of those things will be an issue for my Hub, but this time through, he was so thrilled with the pizzas that he didn't mind at all. Wow. But mostly, I'm shocked at myself, because I'm done. I'm full-- not stuffed. I had two pieces and just kind of forgot to get more. Holy shit. We've got the rest of the pizza put away in the fridge, wrapped up for lunch tomorrow (and possibly dinner).

Here's another thing: for two days in a row, I've found treats in the break room, tried them, found them wanting after one bite, and pitched the rest. I wasn't hungry, I didn't want 'em, I tried 'em and then extravegantly chucked the rest in the trash. I've identified that I have a tendency to want just a liiiiittle something extra first thing when I get to the office and first thing after lunch-- and now that I've got the option of drinking a mug of sugar-free hot cocoa with a little instant coffee mixed in, that seems to satisfy the urge. It's not that I'm actually hungry at these points, I just have a little mental urge that needs to be satisfied, and this seems to do it.

Wow.

In other news, the official total of meals that the Chinese take-out covered for us this week: 5 1/2. Four of those were from my small Szechwan chicken and the little thing of rice. I'm not sure what surprises me more, that there were leftovers at all or that there weren't only leftovers, but leftovers of leftovers, that neither one of us plowed through the food on either night. Totally extraordinary. Wonderful.

I think the slow and gentle approach is starting to edge me into normalcy. We'll see. But now, it's so very much time for bed.

5 Comments:

  • Wow, I thought I invented the Poor Man's Mocha! My office coffee is dreadful, but it's bearable with a packet of sugar-free Swiss Miss and maybe a dash of non-dairy powdered creamer. Voila: fancy coffee beverage! OK, actually, it's pretty ghetto, but it comes minus the $4 Starbucks price tag.

    I'm drinking one now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:40 AM  

  • You're doing *so* well. Deciding that you're just not hungry any more is something lots of people never learn. And the little mental need thing is funny. I need something sweet after I eat lunch or dinner, even if I'm full. An apple or yogurt will do it, but if I don't have it, I head straight for the chocolate two hours later. Funny, huh?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:53 AM  

  • 1st time visitor. Am supposed to be studying.

    Recently moved away from my beloved Chicago to my non-beloved Detroit burbs.

    LOVE LOVE LOVE your writing. LOVE IT.

    By Blogger portuguesa nova, at 12:38 PM  

  • (Usually I write in full sentences. Supposed to be studying.)

    By Blogger portuguesa nova, at 12:38 PM  

  • I do the same thing with coffee/tea and hot chocolate at my work. I like mixing the chocolate with the coffee too. And those pizza sound really amazing.

    By Blogger theaddict, at 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home