I Am That Girl Now

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Men are from Mars, that's for damn sure

Today's Hub adventure: having given himself extremely sore legs from his treadmill experiment, he proceeded to give himself very sore arms with weights. Then he came into the other room, where I was doing yoga, and said, "I think that the time has come for me to admit that I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I should do some research."

I sent him over to ExRx.net, which covers pretty much everything ever having to do with exercise. Hopefully if he won't listen to me, he'll listen to the professionals. I've seen this pattern of behavior before-- not just in him, in me, too-- and, once he's assimilated the information for himself, he'll be good to go.

In other news, I made an executive decision last night and ordered Chinese food. We were both exhausted and a downward spiral was beginning in which my Hub will default into "I MUST HAVE PIZZA" mode. There's a place called ChinaLite that I've been wanting to try for quite some time; they're all about light sauces, going light on the oil, no MSG, and using the freshest ingredients available. Nothing deep-fried, nothing greasy. Totally on the same scale of affordability as the other places around here, and, as an added bonus, we could order online. (Which is quickly becoming a requirement when it comes to ordering out.) They showed up in less than 30 minutes with a metric ton of extremely tasty food, most of which ended up in the refrigerator because we were full. I ordered the small Szechwan chicken, I swear, and yet when it arrived the dish without the rice weighed FOUR POUNDS. We barely put a dent in our food.

My Hub was very dubious about ordering Chinese, since he's recently been burned by ordering what he refers to as "corn syrup pork" at Panda Express, back when I was taking a sick day. He's very fond of good Chinese food, but reacts very badly to middlin'-to-bad Chinese food. He just ordered a salad in this case, assuming that they couldn't screw it up too badly. Then he tasted the dumplings and my Szechwan chicken, and declared that this was now our official Chinese restaurant forever and ever (with the exception of Moon Palace down in Chinatown).

God, I love it when the healthier things are tastier. Granted, I think that our tastes have really been changing. All we need now is for a healthy pizza company to start up around here and we'll be golden. We can cook our own, of course, but I long to be able to order a pizza of moderate size with a whole-wheat crust, nonfat sauce with just the right amount of herbs and spices, topped with fresh basil, fresh tomatoes, grilled portabello mushrooms, and dotted with goat cheese. I'm drooling just thinking about it. It must be lunchtime.

...Wait, holy cow, I think I just found the answer: Homemade Pizza Co.. They make it, you bake it.

Savory Pie
Inspired by the flavors of Provence: Roasted red peppers, marinated artichokes, carmelized onions, our mild Chèvre and imported Kalamata olives.


or...

Spinach Pie
Mounds of fresh spinach with Feta cheese, sundried tomatoes, roasted garlic, pine nuts, and a hint of oregano over an olive oil glaze. Imported Kalamata olives if you wish. A pizza you'll crave.


Whole wheat crust available. Oh my God, I think I'm in love. Chicago has everything. I can never move. Eeeee!

4 Comments:

  • mmmm sounds yummy too. I make a killer homemade pizza complete with a low-fat base, but alas I hate doing it. Sigh... I also love asian food. It is my weakness. The problem is I love the stif-fry veggies with light soy sauce (v. good for you) but I also LOVE fried rice that is v. bad for you too! :)

    By Blogger theaddict, at 1:10 PM  

  • Wow -- I wish we had a healthy Chinese food place like that around here. I love spicy and there doesn't seem to be anything that's both spicy and healthy. And don't get me started on the portions...

    We have a pizza place that has 3 pizzas developed by the American Heart Association. I always order that for me when I order pizza for the family. All 3 are delicious, but two are spicy and one has too many veggies for my picky family.

    By Blogger wife2abadge, at 2:37 PM  

  • I love making pizza! It's become a Friday-night tradition for me and my husband. He's a pastry god and wrangles an excellent whole-wheat crust; I whip up my famous pizza sauce from scratch, and we can top it with whatever we want. That plus Netflix gets our weekend off to a flying start, and it solves our dual dilemma: eating healthy and saving money (we just bought a house and are broke as can be).

    Holla if you want my crust recipe; it makes 3 crusts and freezes/thaws extremely well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:15 PM  

  • We have Sammy's woodfired pizza here where they will substitute nonfat cheese for the regular stuff and, on a personal sized Margarita (tomato and herbs) pizza, you can eat the entire thing for less than 500 calories. Super nummy!

    By Blogger Denise, at 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home