I Am That Girl Now

Friday, January 27, 2006

Baby steps, Hub style

More Hub updates. I can't help it, this is the most interesting thing that's happened in this house regarding weight loss since the day I tried to weigh the cats.

The carrot episode last night led directly to my Hub deciding that for the immediate future, he's going to be doing a moderate amount of healthy eating, but the main concentration will be trying to add exercise and activity. Which is totally fine by me; I've talked about my theory of healthy living = juggling before.

So tonight, he was grumpy and wanted a calzone. Not a problem. In the meantime, however, I made a batch of Kathleen Daelemans' granola, and when he tasted the finished product, he said, "This is now the only thing I will eat from now on, ever. IT'S SO GOOOOOD!" Hee hee hee. It's not low-calorie, but it's lower-cal (and has better nutrition) than nachos and beer; whole grains, good fats from the walnuts, dried fruit.

Bless the man, he's a walking example of baby steps. A man cannot downshift from deep-fried calzones to carrot sticks in less than a week, but he can shift from chips to granola if the granola is tasty enough. I am delighted. I'm going to take about half the granola to work, so he can have it available for afternoon snacks and thus won't be starving when we leave work. If he isn't starving when we leave work, we'll have more leeway for what to do about dinner, and he'll be able to consider better food choices. Baby steps. Bit by bit by bit.

Next thing I need to work on: slaws. Veggies, dressing, can be eaten in large amounts. No problems. Possibly carrot slaws.

4 Comments:

  • Which book has the granola in it? I love granola, but buying the low-fat kind at Whole Foods gets expensive!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:03 PM  

  • It's "Cooking Thin with Chef Kathleen". Really, we haven't found a bad recipe in the book yet; it's all been excellent.

    By Blogger Meg, at 6:23 PM  

  • That granola sounds yummers.

    By Blogger theaddict, at 12:36 AM  

  • This has got to be fascinating, watching someone at the beginning. You're right, it's a matter of baby steps, and you're wise to not rush him.

    My husband makes sporadic attempts at weight loss and fitness - he loses weight so quickly dieting is really just a matter of a few weeks restricted meals (the bastard!) but he has a harder time with the regular exercise thing. He's not reached the realization yet that one has to make time for it. But, I'm always glad when he joins me, the workouts are so much nicer with company.

    By Blogger M@rla, at 6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home