I Am That Girl Now

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

What is it with bars?

Seriously, what the hell? I gotta tell ya, one of the more surprising things that I have learned in the past few years is that the bars around here have some hella great healthy food. There's a pub in our neighborhood where I can get a seared tuna steak served on top of a pita, along with some pretty damn tasty grilled broccoli. I can name at least four bars in the area where I can get some truly amazing salads-- not just one of those measly house salads with iceburg lettuce and a few wedges of half-frozen tomato, but things like field greens with dried cranberries, walnuts, and blue cheese, or Mexican-themed salads with black beans and corn and avocado, or Oriental-themed salads with scallions and mandarin oranges and such. There's a lovely hummus-and-sprouts pita sandwich at one of our favorite bars.

Goose Island, a local brewery, has a microbrew pub in the Near North area. I discovered earlier this year that they have stunning salads, and in fact have a rotating special based on stuff from local growers. Tonight, however, I noticed that on the main menu-- under "pub specialties", in fact-- there was a roasted vegetables & couscous dish. Curious, I got it.

OH MY GOD. So good. So very good. Zucchini grilled over fire (you could smell a bit of lovely smoke clinging to it), roasted tomato wedges, roasted green pepper (I didn't eat those bits, though, 'cause green pepper and I do not get along), and-- best part-- lovely, buttery-soft portabello mushroom, ringing a shaped mound of couscous made with raisins and chopped vegetables. My Hub, who had the "legendary Stilton burger", was actually jealous of my dinner; he got a few tastes and then ate all my green peppers.

Dude. Pub grub has come a long way. Is this just a Chicago thing, or is this phenomenon found everywhere?

1 Comments:

  • Most pubs here serve only greasy food well, but there are places whwere you can get nice and healthy things... you just have to pay a lot for them!

    By Blogger theaddict, at 5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home