I Am That Girl Now

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Well, that explains it

My Hub, after complaining for two days straight about his poor overused legs, happened to mention at long last that he had been holding a 5-lb weight in each hand and had a 5-lb ankle weight strapped on each ankle when he did the 10-minute treadmill session that exhausted him so. I stopped rubbing his poor, overused legs when he said that and asked, "Are you crazy?"

I have now hidden the weights. He'll be pissed at me tomorrow morning, but I have no intention of letting him injure himself and screw up this extraordinary fitness streak he's got going.

In other news...

I'm sheepishly pleased with myself. I've just managed to spend about a quarter of our tax refund on kitchen appliances and DVD sets (Amazon has the Buffy and Angel DVD sets for about $30 apiece now, to which I said HOLY CRAP), while my Hub has spent twice as much on stuff to upgrade our computer. The remaining quarter will go toward a beginners' home gym, which has pretty good reviews and is cheaper than a gym membership for the both of us. Eventually we hope to get an elliptical trainer and a real home gym, but that'll have to wait until we stop migrating from one apartment to another and settle down in something resembling a house.

I'm pretty happy about the kitchen stuff. We've been without a food processor since ours went kaput back in November, and I found a good deal on a KitchenAid 12-cup food processor. I threw in a microwave rice/vegetable steamer, an immersion blender, and (okay, so this isn't kitchen gear) a heart rate monitor. Voila: now we're set for more healthy-cooking options, and we'll also have something other than me to convince my Hub that he doesn't have to kill himself while working out.

Now, I just have to wait for the stuff to show up. I am not so good with waiting.

2 Comments:

  • I've yet to meet a trainer who recommends hand or ankle weights during treadmilling. The most I've ever heard anyone say is okay is a backpack with weights in it because it distributes the weight more evenly. You're absolutely right that it's a good way for him to hurt himself, especially if he's been sedentary for a long while.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:30 AM  

  • Ditto the above comment. If he wants to work his legs more, then he should walk more or walk faster. Adding weight isn't a great idea.

    Congrats on the food processor. I've been thinking about getting one for a few months and haven't dropped the cash yet.

    I've been cooking a lot healthier lately. It's fun, but you have to set aside an hour-and-a-half of your evening (including time to eat and cleanup). It's a choice. For me and my wife, the choices were cook for real or cook something out of a bag with lots of preservatives (and God knows what else), be done in about 30 minutes, and watch an extra hour of TV.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home