I Am That Girl Now

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Just because it's simple doesn't mean it's easy

I returned from church this morning to find that my Hub had worked out this morning, both weights and on the treadmill. He is totally pissed off at himself; apparently he tried running this morning and could only make it for one minute, and the one minute exhausted him so much that he had to get off the treadmill around the 10-minute mark. I, on the other hand, am so proud of him that I could pop. Expressing this pride to him makes him feel terribly self-conscious, however, so I am trying to keep it down to a dull roar. I'm letting it out here, instead.

I'm just so proud. So very, very proud. Not that he's exercising. Not that he's going to try to lose weight. I'm proud that he's trying something that's hard for him, and that in spite of the fact that it's hard and thus he's not getting the "hey, this is fun and I'm good at it" rush, he's still not giving up.

I'm not impressed by people who are instantly good at things. I'm impressed by the stubborn bastards who claw their way into an ability, by the people who fall down and get back up, who just keep trying. It's like how courage means being scared shitless by something and doing it anyway-- fearless is one thing, courage is quite another.

There are always people out there who puzzle over why people don't just lose weight, 'cause it's so simple: eat less, move more. Simple, yes. Easy, no. I've ranted before that the myth of easy weight loss is one of the biggest stumbling blocks that we've got, and it's still true: if you buy into the idea that this is supposed to be easy, then it diminishes your view of your own success and magnifies your sense of failure when things don't go as they should. If you think that everyone should be able to do this, and it's a basic thing, then you spend a lot of time kicking yourself for not knowing things already, instead of congratulating yourself for learning them; you spend a lot of time cursing your body for not being fit instead of taking pride in the fact that you're doing a little bit better every time.

It's not easy. Every single one of us who even attempts this stuff is a major badass. Repeat after me: I AM A BADASS. We're operating outside our comfort zone, the way that explorers and inventors and scientists and mountain climbers do, people who push themselves into the unknown. Most people don't operate outside their comfort zone. We do. People don't look down on explorers and mountain climbers and scientists for not getting things right the first time, they don't roll their eyes at the stories of being caught in the Arctic when a blizzard came through and not being able to complete the journey because all the supplies were destroyed, they don't mock people who only made it halfway up Mount Everest. We honor those people. Those of us who turn our lives around, or even try, in this process, deserve the same recognition. We are badasses.

Er. Anyway. Got a little off-topic there.

My Hub has some advantages in the food department. The first is that he's less prone to emotional eating and boredom eating than I am. The second is that he's omnivorous, so as long as things are prepared in a tasty way, he'll try anything. I keep finding that when I suggest a dish to him he'll be instantly in favor of trying it.

Our slaws have marinated overnight, and have turned out very nicely. Not bad for what are essentially just grated veggies with some herbs and spices and vinegar and such tossed in. (I have recipes if anyone wants 'em, but really, just check the Food Network site for "Cooking Thin" recipes.) My Hub just spontaneously snagged some as his side dishes for lunch. Talk about an attractive way to make sure ya get vegetables in every meal; being served cold, they have that unique fresh-out-of-the-fridge thing going on so you don't have to imagine what the dish will be after the re-heat. Brilliant!

And now, I must go cook a chicken.

2 Comments:

  • I AM A BADASS! Sorry, just wanted to say it with you. Wow, that felt good! You are so right, it isn't easy. Yes, it's simple, but it isn't easy. It takes sweat and tears and sometimes even blood (well hopefully not, but you never know). But it's worth it!

    By Blogger Future Me, at 3:03 PM  

  • I love that simple/easy distinction. It's been so liberating for me. I once read that losing weight is simple the same way that quitting smoking is simple: just never put another cigarette in your mouth; that's it. Simple. Same with running a marathon: just put one foot in front of the other until you reach the finish line. Simple.

    Well, yes, simple, but not EASY. Just because it's not difficult to understand, or because there's not a lot to it, doesn't mean it's easy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home