I Am That Girl Now

Monday, February 13, 2006

Quick, to the Batmobile!

Crazy busy lately, both at home and at work, but I just had to say this: I love my new heart rate monitor. (Omitron, available at Amazon for about $35.) Seriously, this is the first time that I'm actually putting two and two together and figuring out what bodily sensations go along with pushing myself too hard at exercise. Well, I take that back: I knew. But on the other hand, it was really easy to dismiss it as being a wuss, or being lazy. With biofeedback confirming my suspicions, it's a whole different thing.

This thing is AWESOME. I mean, I really wish that I'd got this thing last summer when I was on my downward spiral, because I had no reason to kick myself, and maybe an unbiased, purely factual bit of input from a machine could have kept me from getting all wacky in the head about my fitness. Then again, at that point I was probably already skewed sideways to the point where I might not have believed the machine, or used it to kick myself in some other way. Ah, well, that's the past.

At the moment, I'm below where I'd like to be in terms of my cardiovascular fitness. My heart rate goes up to about 170/180 when I'm running along at just 5 mph, and since I'm just on Week 2 of the C25K program (a.k.a. the "How Meg Gets Her 5K Groove Back" program), I'm only running for about a minute and a half at a time. According to my calculations, 171 bpm is 90% of what should be my top bpm. Eep. I gotta say, I can't wait for those numbers to come down. I'm trying very hard to run a bit slower, in an effort to keep from doing myself any damage.

My Hub's situation is... odd. He keeps hurting himself when moving furniture or getting sick or something, and it seems like a hideous imposition to ask him about if he's planning on exercising when he's so sore... or if he's planning on getting back into it at all. I'm terribly curious, but I don't want to push. (Ya don't ask someone else to climb Mt. Everest for you, they do it for themselves.) I've been trying to figure out a delicate way to ask. I should probably forget delicate and just get it over with.

In other news, we hosted a party in which our guests willingly and eagerly partook of a whole bunch of fairly healthy foods, including two kinds of slaw (I am getting damn good at those, I must say), broiled fennel, and berry cobbler. All from recipes (some mildly tweaked to flavors I liked better) from the Kathleen Daelmanns cookbooks. I've been doing a victory dance every since, because I've never seen vegetables served at a party that weren't a) raw, with dip, or b) a salad. I guess a slaw is technically a kind of salad, but there was no lettuce involved, and frankly, I got people to cheerfully eat vegetables so I'm waving aside all technicalities.

And oh, the COLOR. Such vivid color on the plate in the middle of winter is just all kinds of decadent all on its own. Ooooh. So pretty.

Oops, gotta run. Like I said-- very busy! I miss you all!

3 Comments:

  • Would love to get some of those slaw recipes from you! And good luck with your wise approach to getting more fit. Blessings, PatL

    By Blogger PatL, at 6:49 PM  

  • I'm glad you have the heart rate monitor to keep you exercising safely and sanely. :)

    Your descriptions of your food always make me drool. I am so jealous of your culinary creativeness! And I wish you lived closer so I could come watch you cook and learn a thing or two!

    That sounded creepy, no? "Meg. I just want to watch. You. Cook." LOL!

    By Blogger Zara, at 12:56 PM  

  • The slaw sounds interesting. Wish I could taste.

    By Blogger theaddict, at 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home