I Am That Girl Now

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Hooray, we have an exercise bike!

Never, never, never order from Sears. I'm not saying that they're unfriendly or incompetent, but it's like doing business with a third-world country where half the time, the technology doesn't work.

That said, after many trials and tribulations, we now have the bike. The hilarious part here is that my Hub has taken to it like a duck to water, and is currently experimenting with biking while playing a game on his X-Box. So far, it appears to be working fine. He jumped on the thing right after he ate a big calzone last night, and after pushing himself through a half-hour workout he spent the rest of the night with nasty digestive issues. Lo and behold, experience has now taught him something that never sank in when I told him about it before. Poor guy.

I got some time on the bike this morning, which was just fine with me. So far, so good. I like it. It's utterly silent-- the mild whirring sound of the pedals cutting through the air is pretty much the only sound-- and it doesn't hurt my butt. I'm not sure if the hand-held heart-rate monitor works very well; I'm thinking that tomorrow I'll compare & contrast with the chest-strap heart-rate monitor.

Oh, and I hear that recumbant bikes are good for developing a firm booty. Booyah.

I just can't say enough good things about wearing a pedometer. Really, I can't. It is the perfect first step to easing back into a healthy lifestyle. Just knowing I have it on makes me more prone to walking more, and once that's in place I start feeling more prone to eating better, and things start working again.

I saw some pictures of myself from last month. Oy. I need a haircut in the worst way, and would definitely look better if I fit properly in my clothes. I'm too cheap to buy new clothes, so... yup, diet and exercise.

And now, I must make dinner, since my Hub is being good and exercising.

3 Comments:

  • 'Bents rewl! We got one about 18 months ago, and it's brilliant. My wife wouldn't ever ride our (gym-quality) upright, but loves the 'bent. We record any amount of crap from the night before, and she watches it in the morning on the bike.

    The HRM on ours works with the chest strap, which is easily the best of both worlds. Far better than the handgrips.

    It's much easier to exercise on good comfortable gear, there's no doubt.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:59 AM  

  • Hey,may I ask which model you got?I am looking to buy one but the number of choices daze me.Thanks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:35 AM  

  • We got the ProForm GR80. So far, so good, although you do have to be careful about tightening the length-adjusting screw in the middle so that an enthusiastic bout of pedalling doesn't slowly extend the thing to the point where you're all the way on the edge of the seat and pedalling with your tippy-toes.

    By Blogger Meg, at 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home