I Am That Girl Now

Friday, May 05, 2006

Back in the saddle again

First of all, for all the people who raved about Fage's Total 0% yogurt: I love you. I love you dearly, deeply, and truly. I love you almost as much as I love this yogurt, which is the best. thing. ever.

No, seriously. Our Trader Joe's just started carrying it, and I am the happiest little panda bear on the planet. I made a new batch of granola last night (the first in the new apartment; hrm, I seem to need to work on figuring out the oven) and had granola and yogurt for breakfast. This seems to have set me up for a lovely day. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful stuff.

It's taken all week, but I seem to have eased myself back into a good mindset. I have my pedometer on, I've taken to making the full round of the office every time I go to the bathroom or go to fill up my water bottle-- which is often, because I'm sucking down water like mad again-- and since my pitiful low of not even 3,000 steps on Tuesday, I'm back up to over (sometimes well over) 10,000 steps.

My rib is feeling better; not perfect, but not bad. My Hub said, on Tuesday, that he was really looking forward to me healing up so we could go jogging again, and to my surprise, so was I. I like jogging with my Hub for the same reason that I like walking places with my Hub: it's more fun to enjoy the scenery when there's someone to whom I can point out things.

Sears is testing my patience, because now they're delaying our new exercise bike by another week. I would swear that this is the absolute last time that I buy a large appliance of some kind from Sears, but the wretched thing about the matter is that they have the cheapest decent-quality stuff in the area, so we're kind of screwed there.

My Hub and I have gotten ourselves addicted to watching what he refers to as "MEN FIGHTING!": mixed martial-arts competition on TV. He used to do a lot of judo, and this has him interested in it again. For the first time, I'm genuinely fascinated by the idea. Might go check out the classes they have up at the judo school a few blocks north; they've got a "beginning judo for women" class that I've been eyeing.

I think that the past month's work got me set up to have a less stressful lifestyle, in a weird way; the apartment is so beautiful that we find ourselves cleaning it on a very regular basis in order to "live up" to it, we're getting laundry done much more often now that we have a laundry room just downstairs, and no more cable TV (thank GOD). A large amount of auditory and visual clutter has been dropped from my life, and we're actually saving money from what we were paying for the old nasty place. And the horrible fighting that my Hub and I were doing back when I was trying to convince him to move turns out to have been worth it; he's so happy and delighted with the new place that he actually told me that I was right, and that this was a great idea, and that he's glad we moved. Woo!

It's really amazing what a change in environment can do for ya. The whole place just feels very zen. (My Hub, in fact, has a tiny zen garden with little rocks and white sand, that he puts patterns into with a tiny rake.) I just feel good.

That said, there's no more putting off getting my ass back into its proper shape so that I can wear my summer clothes, because I still haven't lost the 20 lbs or so that came on during the depression, and I'm officially tired of them. I am also officially tired of not being able to jog very far anymore; I dreamed last night that I was running, and it was awesome. I want to do that again.

The point being: I'm back.

5 Comments:

  • WooHoo! good going.

    Have a great weekend!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:22 PM  

  • Welcome back & congratulations on the completed move.

    I also enjoy watching MMA, and I'm looking forward to watching it again once I get back to North America. Judo is a great idea, but I would suggest also trying out BJJ before deciding. Check out the description in the Stumptuous April rant.

    I'll make a point of looking for this yogurt you mentioned. I'm going to miss Israeli 0% fat yogurt: they have many yummy flavours here, including mango, coconut-banana, rum-raisin, strawberry, pineapple...

    By Blogger Mich, at 3:46 PM  

  • o happy days :) so glad to hear things are going well.

    and hail the mighty fage. i thought i'd be quiche-less forever until i discovered fage acts like cream. and i can convince myself it tastes like sour cream on a homemade bean burrito or chilli. bless it's cotton socks!

    take care mate!

    By Blogger Shauna, at 7:06 AM  

  • I've had that same experience with Sears - it can take weeks and weeks for delivery. We got rid of cable a few months ago, and it made a huge improvement in our lives. Now I just have to get the courage to throw away the TV entirely...

    By Blogger M@rla, at 6:39 AM  

  • Meg, congrats on the move. I am soon to be joining you in the recently-moved club... just 10 more days now!

    It's great that you feel ready to tackle those 20 pounds. I also think it's awesome that you and your hub are working out together.

    When we belonged to the gym, my hub and I used the treadmills and weight machines together. Then he fractured his shoulder, and right after that healed, I hurt my knee and couldn't do the treadmill anymore. I have to say, working out alone sucks ass. I am so much more likely to do it with someone else.

    I hope when we move, we can walk together. It won't be great exercise for him, since I am so out of shape and he'll have to go at my pace (or what's the point of being together?), but he'll be doing some moving he's not doing now - so it should still help him... and hopefully someday I'll catch up to him!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home