I Am That Girl Now

Friday, August 05, 2005

That'll teach me

Oy God, I'm so dumb. How long have I been doing this, again? Going on two years, and that's not counting all the "practice run" times before. I can still be remarkably stupid sometimes, and today is that day.

I got myself a happy little treat this morning when I went to the grocery store-- this being my day off, and all-- and didn't look at the nutritional information. I don't know why. It's usually a compulsion with me. For some reason I didn't look until after I'd already eaten what turned out to be four servings of a 300 cal/serving food.

That's right.

1200 calories.

::DIES::

Here is the good news: after flying around the house going "SHIT, SHIT, SHIT" for a few minutes, I have settle down, remembered that accidents happened, and killed off my original impulse to eat everything in the house to somehow disguise this accident in the middle of a huge(r) binge, and my secondary impulse to flop on the couch and use this as my day off of exercise (which would have undoubtedly cycled back into my first impulse, knowing me).

Instead, I went to my PDA, entered the (gulp) nutritional stats for my Snack Of Extreme Stupidity, put on my exercise gear, and hit the treadmill. 20 minutes of HIIT, 10 minutes of LISS, then a 10-minute cooldown in which, just for the hell of it, I busted out two one-minute 7 mph intervals. I think I'm going to start doing that more in the future; I really want to make friends with 7 mph so that I'll be able to make my next 5K goal: 27 minutes.

I am extremely sweaty, a bit sick to my stomach (I am so dumb) and don't feel like eating at all. Still, proud of myself for tracking my food even when I've fucked up; that's something I've never done before, really, and I think this might be another thing that will help crack the binge thing. What the hell, if I keep throwing new techniques at it, something's bound to stick.

Now, must clean up and get ready to go to the financial advisors, who will no doubt tell us that we are completely screwed and must go to the poor house immediately. Aieee!



10 Comments:

  • I was starving one day a couple of weeks ago so I went to the vending machine to get a snack, which I never, ever do. I bought a package of pop tarts, not realizing just how horrendously, stupendously awful they are for you and no tbeing able to see the nutrition info on the back. I was pretty horrified when I looked at the package after eating both pop tarts.

    Oh well, these things happen and you seem to have handled it in the best possible way. Don't you feel like you've grown so much even in just the last few months?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:36 PM  

  • I can imagine how terrible it was to see the accidental damage, but good for you for keeping a healthy pattern (i.e. writing it down and not binging for the rest of the day). If that's not progress, I don't know what is!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:52 PM  

  • All I can say is Wow! You made a mistake and took immediate action to correct that mistake. Excellent!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:10 PM  

  • That is so awesome that you identified your need to disguise the mistake in a binge, and decided to go work out instead! You go! I love your blog, you're so funny and fun to read. And inspiring!

    By Blogger Future Me, at 2:43 PM  

  • I had the same experience when I just HAD to have a cherry c0ke slurpee. I mean, I knew it wasn't exactly a health food, but I figured, Hey it's mostly water... I had NO IDEA how horrible the nutritional facts were. I've had to learn that lesson more than once, which doesn't speak well for my intelligence, but I think I've finally got it. And truly, you are good and strong and wonderful to count the evil calories in your day, instead of pretending they didn't happen, or even worse finding a quick way to get rid of them. That rocks.

    By Blogger M@rla, at 4:01 PM  

  • I've done that a couple of times buying yoghut. Most yoghurts here have the info for 1 serving per tub as you'd expect but then some have it for 2 serves per tub... it is damn frustrating when you when you are in a hurry.

    Nice recouping there.

    By Blogger Kathryn, at 5:11 PM  

  • Yay you for being honest with yourself, sucking it up, and moving on.

    I wanna be you when I grow up.

    Okay, I will make sure the doughnut from last night ends up in FitDay.

    Lead on!

    By Blogger Gina, at 10:25 PM  

  • I don't thinks it's dumb (it just feels dumb). It's amazing how 2 similar snacks can have such different calories. I frequently get re-surprised (in a bad way) by how many calories can be shoved into a small amount of food.

    By Blogger neca, at 6:54 AM  

  • Hi! I'm only now catching up to your posts but I just wanted to say that by managing to stay calm and fight off the horrid binge, you've made a huge leap for mankind ;) Yay! Hope it went well with the financial advisors...

    By Blogger Mx, at 11:52 AM  

  • So what did you eat? I'm just wondering because I do the same thing, grab a little something each time i go to the grocery store. Just want to make sure I dont make the same mistake. Excellent that you got in a good workout!! Good strategy!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home