I Am That Girl Now

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Still sick, still sore

My Hub, upon watching me shuffle painfully between him and the TV last night: "You know, you look like your grandmother when you walk like that. Hey, why'd you hit me?"

Men.

He insisted on buying me coughdrops, though, which is a point in his favor. I had to be dragged into the pharmacy because we're very, very broke right now (having to budget for visitors will do that) and the idea of spending $5 on stupid coughdrops pained me. He finally told me that if it made me feel better about it, it was an investment in his emotional well-being, because every time I coughed like that it tore him up inside. He also warned me that, having experienced such a cold many times before, he expected that after a few days my diaphragm muscle would be sore from all the involuntary coughing, so I should take what relief I could get. (Granted, my first thought was "Ooh, abs!" before I remembered that this is crazy talk.) I accepted the coughdrops.

I am somewhat less sore, having stretched my legs a lot this morning. (If I'd done that Sunday, and again yesterday, I would probably be done with the DOMS by now. D'oh.) I intended to do yoga last night but absolutely could not face it. Too sore. I did my upper-body workout this morning but didn't get that rubbery feeling afterward, so probably no DOMS there. Possibly some in the boobage/armpit area; flyes are still kind of evil. I should shift some things around in the upper-body workout next, see what I can come up with.

We had people over for the PPV on Sunday, and now we have a guest staying with us for the next two nights, so this is kind of a wacky week. Financially, the amount of juggling we've been doing of late is just obscene. Health-wise, it is always a giant pain in the ass to have to work healthy eating around other people; on the up side, our current guest is a vegetarian so I've got an in. I'm trying to figure out what the hell to do about exercise tomorrow; it's supposed to be cardio, but the guest room is linked to the place o' the treadmill, so I may be screwed. Hell. I may have to sneak outside to run and hope my Hub doesn't lose his damn mind.

I find myself completely unmotivated to do anything when I'm sick. Mostly I just want to sleep. Yet another entertaining factor when having visitors.

Actually, I take that back. I want to watch movie-mysteries and TV-mysteries while snuggled up with my Hub or my cat, or both (provided the a/c is working). It's like a chocolate craving, only for media instead of food. L.A. Confidential is currently at the top of my list, followed by a glut of Veronica Mars (or, as Joss Whedon would say, "a Veronica Marsathon!"), followed by Out of Sight, and... hey, wait, I have Friday off. I could so totally do this. ::counts hours:: Granted, I would only get one movie and maybe four episodes of VM watched before my Hub got home from his half-day, but I might be able to impress upon him the need to stay out of my way and let me soak in the mystery goodness.

A big reading-pile of Ellery Queen and Sue Grafton and Dennis Lehane and S.J. Rozan would have to come after that. That, however, would take weeks.

I love love love mysteries. I love them. I love twisty good ones. They are the best. I seriously cannot WAIT to get Veronica Mars on DVD because that's going to be the only way I'll be able to watch and exercise at the same time.

Also, in a moment of pure geekspeak: Is Serenity out yet? ::checks watch:: Still August. Apparently not. Dammit. I must institute a countdown of some kind.

5 Comments:

  • Um...this may be a sacreligious suggestion, but if you're sick, have you considered skipping your workout? It takes more than a day to lose your progress and the faster you heal, the better you'll be able to perform. Just a thought, since working out might be inconvenient anyway right now...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:59 AM  

  • I want to hear what you think about LA Confidential. I read the book a while ago, and then watched the movie out of curiosity to constrast and compare.

    Hope you're better soon!

    By Blogger M@rla, at 12:53 PM  

  • The book is good, but it's the polar opposite of the movie in terms of direction-- where the movie starts in eighty different places and condenses down to a single freight-train barrelling into the ending (and FABULOUSLY so), the book starts in eighty different places and just keeps fracturing into even more.

    James Ellroy has a crazy brain, and I do love it, but I can't imagine trying to make a movie out of his books. It would be beyond me. In my opinion, the screenwriters deserve some kind of heroic statue made of them for putting a coherent, cohesive, fantastic movie together out of that source material.

    I love the movie insanely. I am watching it right now, as a matter of fact, because lo and behold, I came up too sick to go to work. D'oh!

    By Blogger Meg, at 1:00 PM  

  • Ooh, S.J. Rozan! That's really all I have to say -- just ooh, and get well, and do you think Bill and Lydia will ever get it on?

    By Blogger JM, at 11:14 PM  

  • > If I'd done that Sunday, and
    > again yesterday, I would
    > probably be done with the DOMS
    > by now. D'oh.

    I hear ya. I did 60 calf raises (almost double what I usually do) last week after a hard one mile swim without taking any water (STU-PID!). When I woke up the next morning I couldn't even straighten my legs...not even close. I was sore for the next 96 hours. I tried stretching, walking, hot water bottles and A-5-3-5. I think the walking helped the most but the A-5-3-5 did give some temporary relief too. Whats works best for you?

    Cheers,
    Joe

    By Blogger Joe, at 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home