I Am That Girl Now

Monday, May 23, 2005

Not an auspicious beginning to Week 2

Incidentally, all my fretting over the Gone Hardcore WW friend was for no good reason; by the end of the night she was going for Krispie Kreme doughnuts. No diet discussion there. I feel kind of bad for gaining a day of peace because somebody else had a day of diet disaster, but... man, I'm glad to have not had that conversation. I've come to the conclusion that the best time for me to discuss these things would be somewhere around the 12-week mark, when I'll have results to show off. (At least, I certainly hope so.) At that point I'll have a good grasp of the program and not feel-- for lack of a better word-- so defensive about being on it.

I had a lovely free day, although it went a little haywire there for a while because barbeque was involved and, well, the first barbeque of the season does something to my brain. The smoke! The sauce! The glory of it not being my grill, which means I don't have to clean anything! I ate too much. You know, there have been studies done that prove that people eat more when more is provided to them, so I'm far from alone in this phenomenon, but I'm still kind of kicking myself about it.

Why? Oh, let me tell you. No, not guilt; it's even more special!

I was feeling a bit sick to my stomach when I woke up on Sunday. I charged ahead through the lower-body session anyway, which turned out not to be a great idea thanks to all the ab work at the end. I got it done, but then I was promptly sick; my stomach had held on as long as it could and had decided we were DONE with this. My Hub woke up and found me curled up on the couch in my robe, moaning over my stomach cramps, avoiding church and daylight and everything, and making trips to the bathroom every ten minutes or so. Oh, not happy.

My heroic Hub went to the store and got medicine and fluids. Sweet, sweet man.

I managed to get back onto my meal schedule around three PM or so, although nasty gastric things kept happening. Nonetheless, I perservered. Since we couldn't go do the laundry with me like this, I made a new batch of Four Apple Tuna Salad to take to work (and if I do say so myself, I've fixed things from the last batch and it's much improved), then invented a new "glop" dish for supper-- chicken, Canadian bacon, onion, garlic, canned diced tomatoes, canned mushrooms, canned green beans, and some whey powder (which, as I discovered last week, pairs with the juice in a can of diced tomatoes to make a fascinating cheesy-tomato taste sensation). Had myself a serving and then packed the rest up for lunches (more on that later).

Woke up this morning and had to promptly hit the bathroom. Still not well. Ick. I went back to the bedroom and was weakly struggling into my sports bra, trying to get my oomph up for HIIT, when it occurred to me: Meg, you moron, you're sick, you're dehydrated, and you're about to go do something that you KNOW makes you a complete sweaty mess. If you pass out during HIIT, el Hubbo is not awake to hear the crash and dial 911. Go sip some damn PowerAid until your complexion is no longer a lovely shade of vampire pale.

So, I am being good. I am eating carefully. I have had a great deal of water. Things in TummyTown seem to be settling down. I am going to do HIIT when I get home from work-- I have in fact announced this to my Hub, who's not thrilled about the idea but is glad that I'm doing it when he's awake, at least. I think I'll be fine; I feel much less woozy than I did this morning. My Hub will probably be hovering outside the door anyway; he's a paranoid soul.

In the meantime, I have put myself in charge of slapping together food for lunches. Back when I first went on WW, we started getting Lean Cuisine meals for about half of our take-to-work lunches, and generally throw leftovers into small containers for the other half. It's never been a particularly organized process, much less a planned one. Thing is, BFL requires a bit more thinking, so you either plan ahead or die, really. My initial reaction was to stock up on those South Beach Diet wraps that Kraft has put out, but after two of those it occurred to me that I could make these damn things for myself for less money, one hell of a lot less sodium, and more fun with the customization. And hell, even the Lean Cuisine meals were essentially all the same-- meat plus pasta or rice plus sauce (and occasionally vegetable). What's hard about that? Nothin'. Just requires planning, that's all.

I've been making sugar-free Jell-O every few days and pouring it into four little 1/2-cup containers to set up-- voila, take-along cups o' Jell-O. (And at $4.25 for five flavors, I get 20 cups for about a buck more than I'd pay for six ready-made ones.) We're already used to throwing frozen green beans or broccoli or peas into a little container to bring along and heat up and eat on the side of whatever dish we had, so that's no big. All that's left is the meat & carb & sauce glop. I've got four such glops under my belt now: chicken/bulgur glop, TexMex glop, 4 Apple Tuna Salad (which my Hub has been begging to have for his very own lately), and my white-girl fried rice. More to come. Burritos and wraps and pitas and sandwiches to come, too. I can get this figured out-- and the weird thing is, lately I'm inclined to. I never really bothered before.

Also on my to-do list is to learn how to do a good poached chicken breast. Those, I'm told, are the best for shredding, and if I can shred my own chicken then I'll never need to buy the far-too-expensive canned chicken. (Note to self: canned tuna is cheaper than real tuna; canned chicken is NOT cheaper than real chicken.)

We seriously need to find out when our local farmer's market is starting up, too. I hear they have huge bunches of basil for $1, and that, I could seriously use.

6 Comments:

  • Your friend sounds totally delusional, I mean she probably watched you lose 1/3 your bodyweight before her eyes. She should be at your knee taking notes. I'm just bitter because WW totally destroyed my metabolism and I'm still trying to lose the rebound weight. GO GIRL GO!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:13 PM  

  • Here's the funny thing: I think she is taking her cues from me, at least in some ways. She followed me into WW in the first place, and having seen me succeed with it she seems to have glommed onto the program like it is The One True Way. That whole thing where insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? Yeah. I think she's convinced that the problem isn't the plan, that the plan will work for her if she's good enough-- and that if the plan isn't working for her, it doesn't mean she should try tweaking it or doing something different, it just means she should try harder because clearly she just hasn't done it right.

    Honestly, she's not delusional, she just really, really, really doesn't want to exercise. It would mean completely overturning her priorities, having to say "no" to people (which she's even worse at doing than I am) and their demands on her time, and working to make the time available-- all for something that's new and unknown and scary, something that she only knows as an uncomfortable, embarrassing thing that she's not good at and would have to learn completely from scratch. I understand why she doesn't want to exercise... I just wish she wouldn't let that stop her because so many of those reasons are things that get better so fast.

    No, she's not delusional. She's just human, and afraid. Sigh.

    By Blogger Meg, at 10:09 PM  

  • If you don't mind my asking, how long have you been doing the HIIT? (I had to look up what that stood for, blush.) Right now I suspect that the Couch to 5k is doing something similar for me (jog/walk) but when I get better at this fitness thing, I'd love to look into more interval training. Thanks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:14 PM  

  • I've been doing HIIT for... ::checks watch:: ...about a week now. Hee.

    Couch to 5K is awesome. I highly recommend it; you have chosen well. HIIT is supposed to do more for fat burning than distance training does, but frankly, for a beginner, Couch to 5K has pretty much the same effect. When you can do the 5K in your sleep, THAT is when you start working HIITs, in my opinion.

    Granted, I've just started this stuff, so I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. But that is my theory. :)

    By Blogger Meg, at 6:45 AM  

  • Heyla,

    I figured I'd chime in on the HIIT stuff. Having played in BFL land for about a year and a half; and like Maggie branched out rather a bit, here's my 2 cents: (Which you can promptly ignore if you so desire!*G*)
    HIIT is GREAT for getting your heart rate up (really up); teaching you to push your boundaries and really helping burn off additional fat. It's also fabulous from a time investment perspective. Where else can you burn so many calories in less than 30 minute?
    The two things to think about. One - everyone's level's are different. Even your OWN levels are different over time. (Which really means that a LOT of people that start BFL find that just jogging for their level ten minute really is a killer. Don't think that just because someone is doing intervals it makes them more or less fit than someone else NOT doing HIIT, you most likely will have no empirical reference for comparison.)
    Two - HIIT, while amazing, won't by itself get you the 15% body fat that Maggie and I are both aiming for. That's where further education and different goals come in. I personally now think of BFL as the training program / template for a healthier life. They teach you to take control of your eating, resting and exercise decisions. Once you've got them mastered (or at least, super comfortable) a whole new world opens up full of ideas and goals you would never dream of before. I can't tell you how many women I see on the WoBFL boards who progress from BFL to triathalons, marathons, or other "serious" sports. BFL is a gate to a whole new world of "fit" people who don't have to worry about exercise and food as much. By itself, it is NOT a "one true way" plan to physical perfection; but it WILL give you the tools and knowledge you need to explore that fabulous fit world. :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:42 PM  

  • I'd love for you to post your glop recipes - I am always in the market for fresh ideas!

    I got this off Food Network to poach chicken:

    Boil water. Put frozen chicken breast in - let this boil for 5 minutes. Then turn the burner off and leave it sitting in the hot water for 15 more minutes, with the pot still on the burner. Makes excellent shredded chicken.

    By Blogger neca, at 8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home