I Am That Girl Now

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Day 3

My Hub has earned his way out of the doghouse in four easy steps.

1) Dinner last night was tiny steaks (seared in our beloved cast-iron pan, rare, seasoned with salt... oh so good), corn on the cob, and a side dish made of zucchini and portabella mushrooms.

2) A full and complete explanation of why he keeps asking the same questions over and over about what I can be fed on BFL: it isn't that he doesn't care and thus forgets, it's that he's paranoid to the point of popping that he'll screw up and, by doing so, throw me off-plan. He's so worried. Sweet man.

3) As I was making plans out loud to do a mammoth kitchen-o-thon tonight, to make breakfasts and lunches for me for the next week, he jumped in with "and me, too!" He insists that he'll eat whatever I eat. (Awwww.) I expect we'll be seeing an interesting experiment in weeks to come of what happens when BFL food is applied in an incorrect manner, but what the hell, at least he's eating breakfast now. That's more than I could say a few weeks ago.

4) This morning, as I was doing my first lower-body session, he cued up a soundtrack for me on his laptop computer. First selection: "Eye of the Tiger". Second selection: "To Dream The Impossible Dream", from Man of La Mancha. I laughed so hard I had to start over on a set of crunches. There are reasons I keep that man around, I tell you.

So, Day 3. I'm still dazzled by the sensation of being comfortably sated, and of having that feeling continue throughout the day-- the only time I've been hungry has been when I wake up. Actually, come to think of it, that's a damn good thing, because I wasn't waking up hungry before this-- I was just automatically heading off to feed the cats and then myself before I worked out. (No, I don't know why I was eating before a workout, either. Possibly a way of dragging my feet, I suspect.)

It's also been amazing the effect that continual satiety (and eating twice as often) is having on my brain. The Inner Cartman has almost no chance to pipe up. When he does, he doesn't seem very enthusiastic about it. I suspect that it's hard to get enthusiastic about the idea of a good ol' binge when I'm like this-- not just the satiety, it's that food is always right around the bend, meals happening so often that I barely have time or inclination to look forward to them. I'm starting to take them for granted. It's like something is relaxing in my head that I didn't know was tensed up-- something that had been worried desperately about the next meal, something that didn't trust that it would be fed again, something that is finally starting to realize, with six meals a day, that food will not be withheld. I don't know how to explain it. If you'd asked me if I was worried about that sort of thing, I would've laughed my ass off-- and yet, I didn't realize this clenched thing in my head existed until it relaxed enough for me to recognize the difference.

It's like I've found the mute button for my stomach. Yeowza.

Before, I was always starving by the time I got to work, so I'd end up eating my mid-morning snack first thing, and then I'd have nothing left for the hours until lunch. Now? Nothing. Nada. My PDA beeped at 10 AM today to remind me that it had been three hours since breakfast, and I just kind of stared at it, thinking a very Keanu-style "Whoa." Time flies when the tummy-beast is soothed and content.

I've also just realized something else: you know how it takes 20 minutes for your stomach to realize you're full? I'm finding that when I start from "still fairly sated" to begin with, it takes half that time. Gotta love it.

We've got two office food-type events coming up on Thursday and Friday, and it's going to be interesting to see what happens when I'm confronted with food when I'm in this mode. Knock on wood.

In other news, I'm not mentioning BFL to my in-person friends. I just am purely not in the mood to discuss food, diets, exercise, or anything of the sort with them. More on that later. I'm just not feeling like having to defend my choices or deal with them going through copious amounts of explanation of why BFL could never work for them (and frankly, at the moment I don't CARE why it wouldn't work for them, because I've heard so many excuses about why every plan on the planet wouldn't work for them and it all boils down to "I'm not ready yet, this scares me, shut up and go away"). Grr.

2 Comments:

  • Whatever works for you, stick with it!

    And I love your husband's choice of songs. Although the dream ain't that impossible...

    By Blogger TC, at 8:32 AM  

  • Sounds good! I started eating five meals a day about 18 months ago, and it's the best thing ever, weight control and energy-wise. I know what you mean by realizing that food will not be withheld. It was a revelation to me that the food will still be in the frige the next day, which means I don't have to eat it all at once :D

    By Blogger Tracy, at 8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home