I Am That Girl Now

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Fun run was FUN!

I have to admit, I didn't feel like going. I dragged ass on the way home from work, and all I could think was "dammit, I did yoga and strength training this morning and I've got 16,000 steps on my pedometer; why am I doing this for fun?"

Once in the apartment, I got into my running clothes, which actually helped a lot-- the same way that I feel more official if I'm wearing a suit and pantyhose and heels. Ate a really light dinner. Hugged my Hub, who had informed me that if I didn't go willingly he would march me over there himself (he knows me well; I always do fine once I'm started, but new things freak me out). Marched myself out the door and walked to Lincoln Square.

I was shy and scared and hung out in the background. Ended up with four other women doing the three-mile run; fell into conversation with the slowest, who, it turned out, hadn't run this far before EVER-- but was training for a triathalon. All of those women were, actually. Most of them had done them before. Oh, and one was a trainer for the others.

A moment, if you please, for the mental whiplash of this experience. Within five minutes I went from being the only person I knew in Chicago who ran... to being part of a group of runners in which I was the only one not training for a freakin' triathalon. Holy crap.

Slow run by my standards, with a few stops to walk for the sake of my friend the new runner. Lots of chatter. Some random training from the trainer (for free, in my case, woo!) on how your gait works best-- arm movement, footfall, all sorts of stuff. Very cool.

At that pace, I could've ran twice as far, I think. It was great weather for it, and I was having a fantastic time, talking and running outside not because I was in a race, not trying to work hard, just chatting while doing something that's not particularly hard... seriously, it was the exact same social atmosphere as a game of cards. Just on foot, and without beer and snacks, and without cards. Heh.

FANTASTIC. I ended up chatting afterward with a woman who runs marathons; she was amazed that nobody I know in town runs, while I was amazed that nearly everyone she knows runs. And yet-- no questions asked.

Even weirder, my first-time-running-this-far buddy, L., said that she expected from looking at me that I was one of those naturally athletic skinny women who could speed along without apparent effort. At this point I think my brain exploded. Me? Egad. Apparently I'll fit in with this a lot better than I thought.

I'm going back next week. Just try and stop me. Oh my God, this was GREAT. If this is how this is going to work, I'll end up running twice as far by the end of the summer. I could actually end up being able to run a 10K! Hell, even better, it looks like my crazy plan is going to work-- I already feel ten times more normal. I'm not the only person who does this. It's one thing to know it in theory, or to read people's blogs where they're tracking their fitness, but in person, IN PERSON, it's just a whole new thing.

So pumped. Must shower. I stink.

7 Comments:

  • Way to GO! NIce job, and you sound like you feel really good for it. The first ten minutes of most things usually are horrible, but once in it, you're right - things come together.

    Hey - ever thought of doing a triathlon? ;)

    By Blogger Tracy, at 10:39 PM  

  • that is hella cool! sounds like a great group :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:08 AM  

  • whoo hooo Meg...you RAWK! I got pumped just reading :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:35 AM  

  • sounds like a really great time - are you going to meet up with the same group of women? Who knows, you may end up in the triathalon with them!

    By Blogger Kyra, at 8:49 AM  

  • LOL, I fear the triathalon, because right now I can't swim! I can kind of doggie-paddle around trying to keep my head above water, but somewhere in the ten years I spent avoiding being seen in a bathing suit, I apparently lost the knack of any actual swimming. It's embarrassing. On the up side, I got a lot of encouragement on that from the triathaloners-- including the name of a swim coach which I may use after my free swimming lessons this summer.

    And of course there's the question of how long it's been since I've been on a bicycle... oh, man. I have some serious catching up to do.

    By Blogger Meg, at 9:17 AM  

  • Wow, you just motivated to get in gear today! Congrats on going through with the run even though you had done so much already for the day!

    By Blogger Ms Gigglepuss, at 9:53 AM  

  • Hi Meg, I just found your site today and I really like it. I think I may have a lot in common with you...reinventing myself into a healthier lifestyle. I lost extra poundage around 3 years ago and have managed to keep it off so far. I started running 2&1/2 years ago...my first race was a 10k last June...the longest race I've ever run so far. I've run a few 5k's since. Glad you had a great 5k and I know you'll be up for a 10k soon! I'll check back on your blog often.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home