I Am That Girl Now

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Rock and roll, baby

Last night was Night Off. We ate pizza and ice cream and drank rum. Awesome. More about that momentarily.

Right now I just want to say ROAAAAAAAR! We're heading over to help a friend move in with his boyfriend (YAY YAY YAY for young love) in a minute-- and since we knew that was coming up early, I went ahead and got up at 5:20 AM like usual.

Girls, I am totally badass this morning.

Today starts the second week of my new deal-- that I spend the twenty minutes between breakfast and official exercise (the jog or the 50 minutes of yoga) doing three or four sets of three or four different strength-training exercises. Abs every day, since I can (and God knows I need all the ab help I can get), and today, shoulders. It's not a lot, but I gotta start somewhere.

Last week I wore myself out on just three sets of one shoulder exercise and could barely get in one set of the other three. This week I roared through 'em all.

Went to the treadmill, put in my Alias DVD, ran ran ran. Not quite the 10-minute mile pace that I want (and that I did on my last 5K-- how, I'll never know), but a lot closer than Thursday and faster than last week. I was all on fire. Thank God my Hub didn't wake up when I started talking to myself, because it was all macho talk-- "Oh yeah, I AM that good, OH YEAH."

I always have really good workouts the day after I give myself a freebie meal. Huh. Possibly I'm skimping on fuel. I have to admit that I'm giving serious thought to checking out the Body For Life plan; I'm in a mood to try something new and what the hell, 12 weeks? I can do 12 weeks. I'd have to run it past my Hub, though, since he's head chef of Casa de Veres. Hrm. Should hit the library.

Speaking of food, here's some stuff I discovered last night.

1) Even being "bad", I just don't want sugary soda anymore. Iced tea or diet drinks or good old H2O for me. How 'bout that?

2) I still don't want chips.

3) We ordered too much food and couldn't finish it. Well, we could have, but we felt full and recognized that going further would have been a bad idea.

4) I deeply want ice cream. More specifically, I want peanut butter cup ice cream. Hell, who am I kidding: I want peanut butter cups! Oh, my old nemesis, we meet again.

5) I ate ice cream. Then I stopped, and while the chain of more-more-more food reeled out in my mind, I sawed through the chain and didn't bother getting popcorn. You know, by my standards, that's a hell of a thing. I was eating bad but I broke the chain that led to a binge. And I listened to my stomach with the pizza earlier! Hell of a thing.

6) I have re-named the Brat, after realizing that the voice in my head sounds and thinks (and, when thwarted, whines and howls) a great deal like Cartman from South Park. Now I call it Cartman, so that I can think, "Shut up, Cartman!" in the Kyle voice. This is just amusing enough to work.

I am kicking ass today. ROAAAAAAR!

3 Comments:

  • I stumbled across your blog recently. Congrats on your progress so far. I'm a big fan of the body for life program (and of course you are warned up front that it is a "for life" thing). Many people end up moving beyond it but I think it is a great foundation to work from as far as meal composition, timing and workout planning.
    Good luck with all of your goals. You obviously have been doing great on your own.
    cathy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:04 AM  

  • Me too! I love how open and honest you are about your issues--it's nice to see another person with similar struggles and successes to mine when it comes to maintaining weight loss.

    As far as peanut butter cup ice cream goes, I really love Healthy Choice Peanut Butter Cup ice cream. It really has honest-to-goodness peanut butter cups in it. Of course there can never be enough, but it's enough to satisfy my cravings. Really, I've never met a bad HC ice cream. They've got it figured out.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:40 AM  

  • Hi again. I also did Body For Life for a while when I was living at home. It was pretty easy for me then because I was only responsible for my own food and I had the time to do the workouts as I bought my own weight set. My mother would see me eating yogurt and cottage cheese for breakfast and say, "you will not be able to keep eating this way for life." and I would argue with her that I could. I kept it up for well past the 12 weeks, but when I moved to Australia and had a man to live with and didn't have the space for my own gym etc. it became harder. So I rejoined WW.
    In the end I learned a lot about health and fitness from Bill Phillips but I also decided that having a super sculpted muscular body wasn't really what I wanted. What I wanted was to be a healthy weight.
    Good luck with it if you choose to do it. The most difficult part is buying the shakes/supplements because it can get expensive. I thought I could do it without the shakes, but it is hard to eat 6-8 meals a day without one or two of them being a shake if you are at work for a large chunk of your day and do not have time to prepare that many meals.
    Cheers.

    By Blogger theaddict, at 6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home