I Am That Girl Now

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Results from this morning's 5K:

29:10. Actually, I think it might be almost a minute less, because
there was a huge bottleneck at the starting line as everyone tried to go through at the same time. We'll see tomorrow-- I was wearing one of those nifty tracking chips.

But DUDE. My last 5K, my fastest yet, had me at just about 30 minutes. My fastest pace: 10-minute miles. I was cranking out 9-minute miles this time. NINE MINUTE MILES! Oh, this is the beginning of great things. I wore myself right the hell out, but this is a full 10 minutes less than my first 5K last summer. Hot damn!

Alrighty. I had said a while back that if I got my time under 30 minutes for a 5K, I would splurge and get myself something nice. I'm thinking about an iPod Shuffle... except that I'd also sort of like some sort of training doohickey, some sort of spiffy toy that would help me train. I just don't know what would be best. Hell, I don't know what's out there. Runners: any ideas?

6 Comments:

  • Congrats on your speedy run.
    I personally like to splurge on utterly indulengent things like a day at the spa for a massage or completely practical things like new running shoes. As for something to help your training, do you already have a heart rate monitor? I found that mine really helped with interval training and discovering when I was not actually pushing myself as hard as I should.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:38 AM  

  • No ideas for the running-related splurge, though I also hear good things about heart-rate monitors. I'd probably go in another direction and get expensive jeans. But congrats on the speedy finish! That's impressive.

    By the way, regarding peanut butter--I'm not nearly as creative as you. I just put it on bananas and bread and spoons (yummmm). I do make a spicy peanut butter noodle dish with soy sauce and garlic and ginger and spinach that's quite tasty.

    By Blogger Noames, at 10:48 AM  

  • If you really want to treat yourself for a runner's doohickey, take a look at the Garmin Forerunner 301. A combination between a GPS and a heart rate monitor, you can hook it up to your computer after a run and mionitor pace vs. heart rate. It will tell you how far you ran, what altitude, how fast you ran and how hard you pushed yourself. I have the 201 which does all the GPS stuff, plus a Polar M52 for a heart rate monitor, but as the two don't talk to each other it's not as good as the 301. It is the ultimate runners gadget. No idea of the price in the US but here in the UK they're around £200.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:33 PM  

  • Meg- just wanted to say congratulations!! I don't know how you runners do it, I am impressed!

    Amy

    PS I'm more of a spa day-reward or Nordy's shopping spree-reward kind of gal :)

    By Blogger amyella, at 7:36 PM  

  • I don't know what you're using for tunes now, but I think a Shuffle would be a great "training" reward. (I know *I* always run longer when I have a good music mix on!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:21 PM  

  • woohoo! what a fantastic result!

    i can vouch for the ipod shuffle. it is sooo light and small, and has the cord thing to go round your neck. absolutely perfect for running. treat yourself! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home