I Am That Girl Now

Monday, January 08, 2007

I guess we belong to a gym now

I have to juggle some finances. And a discussion must be had with my Hub, who has now pushed us into four major purchases/financial obligations in the past four months. I have to do some calming down first, though, because if I'm freaking out, not only do I not have coherent discussions, but I manage to freak my Hub out, too.

I do like the gym. I liked the yogalates (it took me five tries to pronounce that) class that I took; it mostly served to point out how pitiful my abs are, which I kind of knew already but now am mildly depressed about. But it was fun nonetheless, and the instructor was really nice, and I really want to try a yoga class next.

I am less freaked out about the freeweight area now, although as per usual there are, like, NO females in that area. I'm planning on doing a little more scouting in that area for the next week; apparently we get two free sessions with a personal trainer, so, yay.

I had to fill out a form explaining what my goals are. "Lose fat, gain muscle" was not one of the check-box options, so I put it in myself. "How much weight do you want to lose?" the form asked, and I was like, "..." Dude. I do not give a rat's ass what the scale says; ask me about body fat percentage, THEN I'll have an answer for you.

What do I want? I want to be able to lift heavy objects-- or, at the very least, myself. I want to be less flabby, more muscular. I want to be able to do a proper squat, to be able to do a proper push-up, and to be able to do chin-ups (I just discovered the assisted-pull-up machine; this is AWESOME). I want better stability and balance, so if someone suggests I use machines rather than freeweights, I will be cranky. I want to improve my flexibility. I want a metabolism that stabilizes at about 1800 calories/day. I want to be able to lift with good form and good technique, so that a) I don't hurt myself and b) I don't look like an ass in the weight room. I want to be able to kick up into a handstand against a wall like my sister can, and to be able to bend in half. I want to be able to run a 5K again. I want to look good in a bathing suit. I want good circulation, lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, and higher bone density. I want, in short, to be in the best shape of my life in preparation for some of the hardest work of my life.

Needless to say, the space given for me to state my goals was not big enough for me to write all that, so I went with "lose fat, build muscle". Ah well.

My one problem with the gym is that all the classes I want to try are at 8:30 PM on weekdays; seriously, I do not want to exercise at 8:30 PM. I want to be home, and I want to be doing relaxing things, because I have to be in bed by 9:30 PM so I can get up at 5:30 AM. Grrr.

Anyway. We now have gym memberships. I need to put together a little travel-pack of shampoo and whatnot, since after last night's class I was UTTERLY SOAKED in sweat, but realized after the fact that I had forgotten to bring any sorts of soap or other toiletries. Gah.

I'm having my annual January freak-out re: finances, with an additional "GAH! MUST FIGURE OUT WHEN WE WILL BE ABLE TO AFFORD TO BUY A HOUSE, MUST GET IN SHAPE PRE-PREGNANCY, AM GOING TO GO OFF OF ZOLOFT IN THREE MONTHS, AAAAAAAACK". Welcome to 2007!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home