I Am That Girl Now

Monday, December 04, 2006

I honestly can't shut up today

First of all, all hail DietGirl! Eight, EIGHT full-body push-ups! Oh, I am jealous. I just got all inspired and went to try one behind my desk, and my right shoulder reminded me that I'm still working on rebuilding the damn thing. Knee push-ups my shoulder can handle. Full-body it cannot.

Second of all, I am kind of in love with Women To Women right now, particularly their nutrition and weight loss section.

Third of all, I forgot to mention that my Hub had me climb on his back like a monkey last night so that he could see if it was possible to do squats with me acting as a living weight. That's the last time I go along with that, because a) it was sort of frightening, b) I do NOT like the idea of him going from 25 to well over 100 lbs. of weight on his squats, and c) I am kind of afraid he'll try bench-pressing me next and really, I'm against women being objectified in commercials and whatnot by being used as props, so I'm not keen on being objectified by being used as a convenient heavy object. Ye gods.

Fourth, I made beef stew last night along these lines: 3/4 lb. of beef stew meat, 1 onion, 1 lb. carrots, 1 lb. parsnips, 1 lb. sweet potatoes (a sub for the original recipe, which called for regular potatoes), canned tomatoes and 4 cups of veggie broth; seasoned with salt, pepper, and a tablespoon or two of grainy mustard. This turned out surprisingly well. My Hub scooped a cup or so of veggies out of the stew after they'd cooked to a soft point, put them in the blender, and created a thickening puree. This is so, so, so good. It really hit the spot for winter food that has been a little neglected this year, since most of our traditional winter food recipes involve potatoes. Sweet potatoes have saved the day! I can't believe I used to hate them.

Fifth, I have been reminded by that last bit that I meant to make a list at some point of foods that I used to hate that are now at the top of my list. Sweet potatoes, definitely. Olives, both green and black. Goat cheese. Artichoke hearts. Multigrain bread. Spinach. Broccoli. Beets. Tofu. Plain yogurt. Green beans. Edamame. Shrimp. Blue cheese (not particularly the best thing for you but OH MY GOD it is so lovely). Balsamic vinegar. Green tea. Lentils. Black beans. Salmon. Tuna. (Hell, fish in general.) Avacadoes. Water. Olive oil. Parsnips. Wild rice. Cooked green leafy anything. Lima beans. Mushrooms. Kale. Zucchini. Salad greens that were not the iceberg lettuce of my childhood. PEOPLE, THIS CAN BE DONE. I didn't get hit by a magic wand and have my tastebuds transformed, it was a combination of getting used to new tastes and new textures and encountering things that were prepared in a tasty way. These things take time.

Sixth, I have concluded that there are two ways to lose weight: make yourself healthy, or make yourself unhealthy. The problem here is that the "unhealthy" version tends to go faster, albeit being impossible to keep up on a long-term basis. The reason I do tend to go on about this is because I'm still pissed off about spending my "skinny" time in 2005 feeling cold and exhausted most of the time because I had thrown a monkey wrench into my metabolism, messing up my seratonin levels, binge eating, getting depressed, and to top it all off I still didn't have a body that looked good in a bathing suit. Yes, WeightWatchers and other low-fat/calorie-counting/portion-control diets get you thin. They do not get you healthy.

Seventh, I have more ranting to do, which I must do later, for now I must go home.

2 Comments:

  • Holy crap, did you just write like five posts today? There's so much I can't decide where to comment! I'M FREAKING OUT, MAN.

    Okay. I'll at least say this: I have never heard of roasting broccoli, and I have always been a big veggie eater. I am going to make it TONIGHT.

    By Blogger M@rla, at 3:45 PM  

  • Hahahahaha! Yeah, I've gone a little wacky today.

    You totally must try the broccoli. It is the polar opposite of the waterlogged vegetables my mom used to make (probably still does, but I'm not there to eat it). SO GOOD.

    By Blogger Meg, at 5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home