I Am That Girl Now

Thursday, October 12, 2006

What, now I'm shy?

I still haven't figured out what to do with my free month of time at the fancy gym. I mean, yay, but what do I do about my Hub, who would be sad and bereft without me now that we're actually working out together on a regular basis for the first time in... ever? (I'm not counting the time I desperately tried to get him to jog with me. That never worked out right and never happened regularly.) I should call the lady and hash this out with her.

Truth be told, I'm a bit nervous. I still haven't lost my depression-era (har har) poundage, although since my Hub got on the diet & fitness train I've noticed my rings getting loose again; the point being that I'll have to disrobe in a locker room, which I've always felt fairly odd about. I have been a solo exerciser ever since I started this thing; once upon a time I belonged to a gym, but it was underground and windowless (two things I violently dislike), and far enough from work that it was a hassle to get there and impossible to get there during lunch, get a workout, shower, and get back without running over the lunch hour, so I quit. It was also a pretty basic gym; nothing fancy. The one I've got the month-long freebie membership to, though, is one of those INSANELY AWESOME gyms that has a pool and a climbing wall and everything under the sun, and it's aboveground and sunny.

The main thing is, I'm not sure what I'm going to do there. I'm stunned by the possibilities and options, and also kind of scared. It's been a while since I've had to risk making a fool out of myself in front of other people, so this makes me pretty nervous.

In less nervous news, my Hub is utterly crazy about the Yoga for Regular Guys workout. Word for word quote, here: "This is the first time I have ever enjoyed exercise in my entire life." (I think this may not be quite accurate, since he used to do judo, but I suspect he doesn't qualify that as exercise in his head.) He's working his ass off and I suspect he's lost at least five pounds in the past two weeks. He's a happy camper. I'm pretty happy about this, myself; I'm kind of wondering what the hell he'll look like after a month or two of this. I've never seen him without his beer gut.

In one of those moments where life just comes together perfectly, I discovered an unopened container of chocolate-flavored whey protein from my aborted stint on Body For Life. Since my Hub has been drinking whey-protein smoothies for his "second dinner" and occasionally mixing it in with his cereal milk in the mornings, he's been going through the Trader Joe's protein powder pretty quickly, and that's more expensive (and more chalky) than the All The Whey stuff. If it turns out he likes this brand, we'll order some more, just in time to get in on the sale on ATW.

We need to get the boy some red meat, though, and soon. He is tiring of chicken breasts in a big hurry.

1 Comments:

  • Why do you have to disrobe? I wear my workout clothes to the gym and come home sweaty. I just put a towel over the driver's seat and all is well. Showering at a gym is way more trouble than it's worth anyway.

    By Blogger wife2abadge, at 1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home