I Am That Girl Now

Monday, February 27, 2006

That crackling sound you heard was hell freezing over

My Hub just ate tofu. Enthusiastically. He didn't give it the skeptical eye or anything. And believe me, he was plenty skeptical when I told him about it on the way home, and sort of sad because he was hungry and all he had to look forward to was tofu.

He liked it.

I'm stunned.

Granted, I worked my ass off for this reaction. My sister the vegetarian, whose boyfriend is not a vegetarian, said that what she does is to cook vegetarian food that's so tasty that her boyfriend is happy to eat it. I sort of stuck together two different recipes from my light Chinese cookbook, tasted the sauce and adjusted it, and the tofu was wrung out via the weights-and-paper-towels method yesterday so I chucked it into the sauce and it sucked it up like a sponge. The original recipe said to pan-fry (very light on the oil) the tofu without such treatment, but I wanted all the help I could get. I started up some microwave rice, pan-fried the newly-juicy tofu, took it out, steamed some broccoli, cut up the mini-peppers, and opened and drained a can of mushrooms. Stir-fried the broccoli, peppers, and mushrooms with some minced garlic. Took the veggies out of the pan, put the sauce in (granted, I had to turn off the flame and hold the pan up off the burner because I got it a bit too hot), stirred in a cornstarch slurry, tossed the tofu into the thickened sauce, plated the whole thing up and voila!

It was very colorful, which I think helped a lot; my Hub commented on how pretty it was with surprise in his voice. The sauce was good, which he was also happy about, and everything went together well. I'm very, very relieved.

Day four. Which means that if I feel like it-- and I probably should, to give my poor beleagered Hub a break-- there should be some meat in the next few days. At the very least, I ought to make sure he gets some meat.

This is going pretty well so far. Good grief.

2 Comments:

  • wow! this is inspiring stuff :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:07 AM  

  • You know, up until January, I was a meat-a-saurus all my life. Mostly. And this is funny to me considering how many vegetarians I've dated.

    Since I moved in with my girlfriend(vegetarian) and meat preparation is kinda gross in general, I've cut all red meat out, and the ONLY meat I eat is chicken breast. Oh, but recently, we bought a wok and a stir fry/wok cookbook and I've been going super crazy awesome cooking everything from that continent of Asia. Ha! And the preparation of tofu is interesting. I just wish it had more of a meat TEXTURE. The taste isn't what's so different... it's the TEXTURE.

    And I don't know what I'm getting at because I've forgotten by now, but good job with the tofu introduction to your husband. ha.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home