I Am That Girl Now

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Transitional damage

The more I study my own weird psyche, the more the similarities between my issues start to stand out. I have problems changing tracks. My Hub refers to this as "if you were a car, you wouldn't corner very well." I love forward momentum; it's turning or changing the plan that throws me for a loop.

This is a problem.

When I'm eating, I like to continue eating. I get all happy about the process, about the lovely taste of things and the way it feels in my mouth and I just want to keep that thing going. In spite of having been doing this for a year and eight months now, in spite of having the knowledge tattooed on my brain of what a proper serving size is, in spite of being perfectly satisfied, stomach-wise, with a proper plate of food, there's always this sad little voice in my head that pops up at the last bite: "What, it's over? Nooooo! I was enjoying it so much! Can't we just keep going?"

Until a few days ago, I hadn't made the connection between that reluctance to let dinner end, my problem with changing plans, and my reluctance to change other actions. Once at rest, I feel inclined to stay at rest. I have inertia. I never particularly mind doing things, once I'm in the process of actually doing them-- it's the transition, the part where I'm going from a passive state of being to an active state of being, that I dislike.

I find that the actual transition period has two distinct phases, broken up by three points. Phase A begins when I realize that I probably ought to be doing something (or when I am told I'm going to have to do something), and ends when I finally go do it. Phase B begins when I start doing the thing, and ends when I finally stop my mental complaining about the fact that I'm having to do X instead of nice, comfy Y.

The points are immutable-- they all happen, every time. The phases, though, can either go by very quickly or take weeks. During cranky phases A and B, I am just plain off. I'm irritable. I'm just short of pissed off.

It occurs to me that all too often I allow myself to wallow in these phases for much longer than the actual task takes to perform. I am a natural procrastinator, a queen of the art form, and I can manage to bitch about having to do something for a solid month before I actually get around to investing any time in it. (That said, unless it's something I genuinely resent having to do, I usually forget that I was mad in the first place mid-way through the task.) This make very little sense when I think about it, because the faster I get over myself and get the stuff done, the sooner it's out of my hair.

It's not just tasks. It's new things, or unfamiliar things, or things I don't remember being particularly good at. Parties, bowling, meetings, family gatherings, writing thank-you cards, going to a parade, discovering the bottom of the ice-cream bowl. If I'm the least bit anxious about it, I will whine and put myself in a mood for far longer than such things deserve. And the thing is, it is me putting myself in a mood.

I always think about this process, if I think about it at all, as a way of avoiding fears and anxieties and the annoyance/pain of going through these things. It is that, I think, but like binging (particularly as discussed in this prior post), my foot-dragging and procrastination doesn't accomplish what I want it to accomplish, it just makes things worse.

I really do need to get the hell over this. It's an old, old habit, older than the binging or even mere overeating, and it's comforting in a screwy way, but it doesn't help me at all. It doesn't do anything but damage. The scary things don't go away, and my fear of them doesn't go away, until I do them. I can control this, I know I can; it will make my life better if I do.

Breathe in, breathe out. Gotta give it a shot.

3 Comments:

  • I'm sure it won't come as a shock when I tell you I'm exactly the same way. About all of it. I catch myself getting angry at the *stupidest* things, like when I think Hubster and I have decided one thing and then he goes and does a perfectly acceptable different thing. It just...Drives. Me. Nuts. And if it's a change in meal plans? Whoah, Nelly. Hold on! All hell can break loose. I like momentum, too, so here's to handling the corners a little better, Meg! Sounds like we're in the same car!

    By the way, I've always thought the P-word should be spelled ProcrASStination. Because that's what I feel like when I engage in it.

    By Blogger Zara, at 6:48 PM  

  • I think I've said it before, but it bears saying again:

    what I find most impressive about you is your total willingness to really look at what you're doing, see something you want to change, and then set your sights on changing it. Even more impressive that it doesn't come naturally! I spend lots more time moaning about what I want to change before I get even close to being willing to make the changes.

    So bravo and good luck!

    By Blogger Noames, at 9:40 PM  

  • You know, in many respects, I am also like this. Particularly with food. I've come to realize lately that my tongue and stomach don't communicate. My stomach can be screaming, stop, enough... but my tongue yells, equally loudly, food.delicious.must.have.more!

    I'm trying to learn how to shut out the tongue and listen to my stomach...

    I don't have the same phases you mentioned, and once I do something, I'm over it. But I have the problem with switching from not doing something to doing something - and when I'm doing it, assuming it's something I don't end up enjoying, I am constantly waiting to be done with it so I can just go "be".

    So, this post struch a familiar chord, even if it's not exactly the same sort of reaction I have... plus, with the driving analogy, well - I'm learning to drive, as you probably know :).

    At any rate, this was an excellent post. I agree with what Noames said about your willingness to really disect your emotions... it's really wonderful and can only serve to help you. The nicest part is that by sharing your thoughts with us, you help us too :).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home