I Am That Girl Now

Friday, June 24, 2005

All dressed up and nowhere to go

I forgot what a damn girly-girl I can be (and I mean that in the best of ways) when I put makeup on and pay attention to my hair. Particularly now that I'm small enough to look like I think I look (if that makes sense) and wear cute clothes. I get all crazed for reflective surfaces and I strut past them and preen. It's embarrassing. I also feel the deep need to dash off clutching my credit cards and buy every outfit ever, and shoes, and get a haircut and a manicure and and and--

I'm not sure if I need to play dress-up more often, in order to de-sensitize myself to it, or whether that would be too dangerous. Eee. Then again, you think this is bad, you should have seen me at my wedding. Complete girlathon. I'd forgotten I had it in me, back when I was heavy. It still takes me by surprise.

Today I'm getting my driver's license renewed, and since this makes the first time I've done so since losing weight, I feel the need to look damn good in my license picture. I know it's silly, but... dude. I want to mark the fact that I Am That Girl Now, and to hell with the past.

Race to Taste is this weekend. That was my first 5K, just one year ago, and I came in just under 40 minutes; this time, I'm planning on blowing that out of the water. I am going to program a kickass playlist into my iPod Shuffle tonight. With that sort of rockin' and rollin' going on, I think I could match my time from April's 5K.

Taste is also this weekend. For those of you who haven't experienced it, Taste of Chicago is Chicago in a nutshell-- a hell of a lot of food, blocks of booths, food food food. My first years here, before I stopped doing that kind of thing, I spent so much money at Taste it's not funny, because I ate EVERYTHING. Repeatedly. It may be a sign of my encroaching maturity that I'm looking at the food list this year and saying "eh." Most of the stuff there are things I don't eat much anymore, and I've had it all before. Hell, now that we know almost every restaurant in the area, I no longer feel like much of it is a novelty.

Still, there is cheesy bread to be had. And if I can no longer stomach the chocolate-covered frozen cheesecake on a stick (alas, last year it made me violently ill... farewell, old friend!) there are still crab legs and watermelon and cheesy bread and gourmet pavillion fun to be had. And the Race to Taste! Strange how that's turned into the most fun for me...

In other news, I have now had crap chocolate from last week's meeting in my possession for more than a week. In fact, it has been sitting in my office all week. I have not eaten it. I'm rather proud of that. I'm starting to get all "BRING IT ON" about challenges like this, and at the moment I'm not even going to do the pessimistic thing where I admit that it won't last forever. Maybe it will last forever if I don't admit that I can't. What the hell, I can be optimistic. I have makeup on!

Speaking of which, I must go freshen up. Love y'all.

8 Comments:

  • Meg, you will look so freakin' hot in your DL photo! You'll be buying liquor just so people can ask to see your i.d.

    I'll be with you in spirit at your 5K! Can't wait to hear how much ass you kicked. It's great that you have last year's virgin 5K for comparision. You'll have hard data to prove how much you've grown! Er..shrunk! Hell, you know what I mean!

    By Blogger Zara, at 1:47 PM  

  • You really are an inspiration.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:07 PM  

  • there is something really satisfying about resisting tempatation. always makes feel really smug and calvinistic or something. what are you going to do with that chocolate?

    hope you have a great ol time at the 5k, but if you're feeling in a girly-girl mood make sure the mascara is waterproof ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:54 PM  

  • Cheesy bread and chocolate covered cheesecake on a stick..the midwest can be such a cruel place...never drive north to wisconsin...in my youth i devoured beer battered and deep fried cheese curds

    i stumbled upon your blog and like reading along, goodluck with the 5K, look forward to hearing the results!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:01 PM  

  • Good for you - you are THAT GIRL NOW. Be a girly-girl like there's no tomorrow & enjoy it - you earned it!

    I have days when I do the sam thing. And, then I have days where I just want to hide under a rug (or a rock - a really big one). The ever infamous - fat day. Will they ever go away :-)

    By Blogger Openfields, at 6:22 PM  

  • "Particularly now that I'm small enough to look like I think I look "--love it, and I can so relate.

    Good luck tomorrow and have fun!

    By Blogger Noames, at 6:39 PM  

  • I wish it wasn't true, but I am sitting here thinking, "cheesy bread? I could do with some of that." Damn it is that bad.

    By Blogger theaddict, at 7:39 PM  

  • "I... look like I think I look" Oh my god! I thought nobody felt like that too! That happens to me constantly, I'm talking or walking and then I see my reflection and is like, whoa! who is that big person watching me? awful feeling

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home