I Am That Girl Now

Friday, June 10, 2005

First, the personal-- later the essay

It's official: my Hub has now eaten breakfast every day this whole week. I need to make at least two batches of the Golden Pancakes from EFL, because the man is purely in love with them. He calls them "fake French toast", which is not a bad approximation of the effect. This morning (hooray, Summer Hours!) we didn't have to leave for work until 7:45, so we ate breakfast at home rather than at work, and he experimented by frying them up in a little butter. (It was "light" butter, at least. There are times when controlling the grocery list has its perks.) Plus maple syrup, of course. But this baby step might just work out. First breakfast, then the world.

He made himself a big salad for dinner last night because he was just too hot for anything else. He told me later that the whole time he was in the kitchen, he kept asking himself, "What would Meg put on this salad?" He ended up with chickpeas, part-skim mozzarella, carrots, celery, and fresh basil and mint from our new plants (please, God, don't let us kill these like we did the others). Awww. I'm so proud.

Speaking of salad, I discovered that Alton Brown is right: celery and carrots really are aromatics. They are, at least, when combined with fresh herbs and lime juice. I based my salad partly on my favorite salad in the whole world, the Eight Vegetable Salad at Wow Bao, and partly on what I had in the refrigerator. I gotta say, if you're bored with salad, get fresh herbs. GOD, I LOVE SUMMER. Farmer's markets everywhere!

I'm out of Fortified Fudgecicles and need to make more, like, NOW. In a surprising development last night, I discovered that I wanted another FF more than I wanted my ration of Dove's chocolate. The chocolate was available, but I took a pass and snagged my cheesecake-er-iffic FF. Holy shit. I am awestruck by this.

Having gotten everything I wanted for my splurge meals last weekend, I'm sort of stumped about what I want for this weekend. I'm saving one of those meals for a wrasslin' PPV over at our friends' house, but beyond that... it's the weirdest thing, but every time I run something past the Inner Cartman, the Inner Cartman goes "eh". Ol' IC has been remarkably quiet of late. I find myself almost concerned about this. I mean, if the point of the spurge meals is-- besides clearly giving me the chance to have what I want but usually don't get-- to remind me that it kinda sucks to eat that way, what the hell happens if I don't eat that way? Do I forget, and it gets harder again?

...I'm psyching myself out again, I think. Okay, I have a plan: Wow Bao, consume bao, consume 8-Vegetable Salad, go home, eat many grapes. I've been slowly going through the grapes this week, having washed them and put them into a bunch of little one-cup containers after I bought them and put 'em in the fridge. This has also made them irresistable to my heat-tormented Hub, who would live in the fridge this week if he could. Poor thing.

Speaking of the heat, I continue to react to heat like a normal person. This is pretty thrilling, since the year and a half on-diet/before-BFL turned me into a skinny really really cold person who was happiest when it was 90 degrees out, or warmer. I basked like a lizard. I shivered in cold breezes. You know, they don't warn you about that when you lose weight the WeightWatchers way, so there's also nobody around to explain that it's not a permanent condition, either. Or, more specifically, that it's possible to change this. God bless six meals per day and copious amounts of protein and weight lifting: I am no longer dying of the cold when it's 70 degrees out.

Granted, this also means that I may die of the heat. But hey, if I respond to temperature like a normal person again, I can so totally go swimming! And when I'm inside, in the air conditioning, I don't have to have a sweater! Hooray!

I am currently infatuated with looking at my stomach. It dents when I move sideways. This is the coolest thing ever. I am suddenly awash with hope that I may own a bikini of my very own before I turn 30.

Oh, and here's another piece of good news: I was awake for several hours without my Hub around, due to coughing-induced insomnia. Thought I might be hungry. Didn't bother eating anyway, because I really didn't feel like it. Even though I was alone, and the kitchen was right there. This is quite excellent.

HIIT this morning sucked because of the heat and humidity, though. Oh, for a conveniently-located-and-affordable gym...

5 Comments:

  • have you tried frozen grapes yet? oh. my. god. delicious.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:52 AM  

  • oh yes, frozen grapes are yummy! i've read about your FF several times now, but can't find exactly what they are or how you make them??

    By Blogger lainb, at 8:22 PM  

  • I do love frozen grapes. Just haven't made them yet this summer... although with this heat wave, we may well do that soon.

    The Fortified Fudgesicles are a recipe from the Eating For Life cookbook-- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk, 1 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese, 1 package sugar-free/fat-free chocolate instant pudding mix. Blend the evaporated milk and cottage cheese together in a blender, then add the pudding mix and blend some more; spoon into six popsicle molds and freeze for about 3 hours.

    They taste like chocolate cheesecake, I swear to God. Definitely not fudgecicles, but pretty yummy in their own right.

    Kyra (if I remember it correctly) posted another version in the comments for a post a while back... argh, I'll have to track it down. It uses chocolate protein powder instead of the cottage cheese, I think.

    By Blogger Meg, at 2:40 PM  

  • Thank you so much for mentioning the whole hot/cold issue. I have struggled with this for the past year or so and it's absolutely making me nuts. This winter, I could NOT get warm. I was cold the ENTIRE season. And I live in (southern) Tennessee where our winters are very mild. Even now that the temps are rising, I still find that I am cold on many occasions where, just a little over a year ago, I would have been miserably hot.

    I have slacked on my weight training and, as my husband was so kind to remind me, I have *not* been as good about eating my full six meals a day like I used to. I'm hoping that after this next week of recovery (I had my gall bladder removed a week ago), I will be able to get back on schedule with all of that: weight training, yoga class, and eating my six squares a day. Maybe then I can get my own body temperature under control to where I'm not making my whole family miserable.

    Thanks for giving me hope that it *IS* possible to get back to normal. You're right - no one ever tells you about this issue and then you're left to wonder if you will ever be "normal" again.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 AM  

  • Those FF sound super yummy...thanks for the recipe. I don't have popsicle trays though (my Mom does...I remember making sodasicles as a kid!). I'll have to go get some.

    By Blogger lainb, at 3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home