I Am That Girl Now

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

ALSO.

Those of you who still get acne in your thirties and beyond, like me, know of the Quest to Find the Perfect Acne Treatment. Oh yes. This week's edition began last Friday when I ran across Mindy Kaling's shopping blog, Things I've Bought That I Love. (Side note: Mindy Kaling plays Kelly Kapoor on The Office, as well as being one of the writers for the show, and I am now officially in love with her because she burbles happily on this blog and is generally awesome.) I got a little obsessed and read all the archives, and lo and behold discovered her post on Mario Badescu Drying Lotion, which I had never heard of before in my life. However, THE QUEST is always in the back of my head, so I had to check it out.

Over at their website, it said that their stuff was available at Marshall Field's. I work about two blocks away from the original Marshall Field's, the store that takes up a whole city block and is over seven stories high (I only go up to 7 because that's where I meet a friend of mine for lunch every Friday), so I thought, COOL. And then I thought, HEY, I am supposed to go over there anyway to meet K. for lunch, so we can just run downstairs after eating.

Well, that was the plan. The plan went to shit as K. and I wandered the aisles, trying to figure out where things are. Marshall Field's, which is now actually Macy's (damn you, New York, why must you intrude?) although I have yet to hear anyone call it that, has many many counters, each with a different brand, and no map; I thought it seemed rather rude to ask someone at brand X where brand Y was, so we bumbled around for a good long time. Finally we found a counter that had more than one brand, so we asked the girl there.

"Oh my God, I totally know what you're talking about!" she yelped. "The drying lotion, right? That stuff is great. I have it at home. We don't have it here, though. Nordstrom's, or Bloomingdale's, except Bloomingdale's usually doesn't have stuff that we don't have, so try Nordstrom's."

I'm mostly amazed that of all the people in the store, we found the one chick who knew EXACTLY what we were talking about even though the store doesn't stock it.

So, I went back online, thinking vaguely that I'd order it there, only I realized at the last moment that I must be strong and save my money for drinking with a certain Australian/Scottish blogger gal-pal, so instead I just got bored and filled out their skin analysis thing. Lo and behold, they send me an e-mail directly after, saying that such and such products would do well with my skin and would I like free samples sent to me?

Damn, are you kidding me? I most certainly WOULD like free samples sent to my door. I said yes, certainly, and now free samples are winging my way. I still don't know a damn thing hands-on about their products, but thus far their online customer service is AWESOME.

In the meantime, I have found that Marshall Field's now being Macy's is probably what messed me up, and that Nordstrom's does indeed have this stuff, and that their store up on Grand is having an Event for them in a week or so. Well now. If I like those free samples, I may go to that, too.

I shall update re: THE QUEST once I get my samples and find out if this stuff is indeed the bomb like Mindy Kaling says it is. WE SHALL SEE.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • Oh please do share because my skin is driving me nuts. I count myself lucky that the breakouts are on my jaw line near my ears and neck and not on my nose, chin, and forehead, but d@mn it's still zits all over the place and I'm freaking 37 years old. I even bought a book called "The Hormonally Challenged Woman" because I know it's my hormones doing this to me, and thought I'd find answers there (not yet, gotta read Harry Potter first).

    I even bought that Zeno thing-- did nothing for me, even made them worse in my book, and thankfully Dermadoctor.com took it back and gave me full credit.

    So, don't buy the Zeno, do share how this drying lotion works.

    Have fun at BlogHer!

    By Blogger Laura N, at 3:00 PM  

  • Boo hoo, I got "maturity onset acne" in my late 30's and the ONLY thing that fixed it was a pill called Minocycline, which stopped it quickly. Only trouble was it caused me to break out in severe hives one month after taking it! Give me the zits any day!

    By Blogger Chris H, at 11:23 PM  

  • I had tried every single product under ths sun. The ONLY thing that worked was Accutane. Heavy duty, but it worked. Permanently!!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:41 AM  

  • For years I have *only* used Mario Badescu on my skin! Their customer service is great, and I can attest to the wonderfulness that is the Drying Lotion. It comes in a bottle and the two parts of the lotion don't combine, so it looks all weird. You just dab a qtip down to the bottom, and put it on your zit. For me, because I get zits infrequently, but when I do they are big and red and nasty, it takes about two days for it to disappear. Friends of mine though use it and put it on before bed and wakeup with clear skin. It.is.awesome. These products are the only thing that has kept my super sensitive and redness prone skin calm and even.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:41 AM  

  • Hi, 2 years ago I tried the recommendations at www.acne.org they worked for the most part but only where I applied the stuff and as I am getting older and my skin is changing, I needed more comprehensive care for my skin.

    Since then, I have followed directions in Dr. Leslie Baumans Skin Type Solution book and that started the beginning of the end of my acne problems. I am 42 and literally have an oil slick on my face by 10:30 am. I went to the derm and he gave me a script for Ziana (clindamycin with RetinA), and some oral antibiotics. I am at the point where I use both sporatically. The scarring I have (as well as some of the rosacea) I have gotten some Fraxel laser treatments and a skin moisturizer the derm recommended (and sold), I also wear sun screen.

    I like Philosophy's products, esp. the supernatural powder foundation.

    All this after already completing an Accutane course in my 30's.

    All in all, I probably could have adopted a black market baby for all the money I have spent in the past 10 years. Oh, I tried botox for the stress/worry lines between my eyes and it is magic.

    By Blogger Lucelu, at 8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home